Saturday, February 5, 2011

Day 5...Self-Control

The worldly way...do what you want, when you want, how ever much you want. How are our children supposed to learn self-control when the influences around them not only say "it's not that bad & it's a new world now", but, then provide them with "protections" to keep them from getting hurt doing what they want! Well guess what, they are going to get hurt. From Genesis on people have struggled with self-control, I personally struggle with it everyday - from too much computer time to the extra chocolate bar that I know I do not need...yes, these are simple things that shouldn't "hurt" us, but how about the things we do everyday that DO hurt us, or better yet - or relationship with Christ. From what comes out of our mouth, to how we choose to spend our time each day...these are all tests in self-control.

So then, let us not be like others, who are asleep, but let us be alert and self-controlled. 1 Thessalonians 5:6 (NIV)

I love the version from The Message...so clear cut!
So, let's not sleepwalk through life like those others. Let's keep our eyes open and be smart. 1 Thessalonians 5:6 (The Message)

Our Prayer today...
Lord, Please help me to practice self-control, so that I can be an example for my children daily. I pray that you will help them to have strong wills when it comes to this issue. Show us simple ways to teach them self-control today, so that when they are truly tested in later years they will be able to follow you. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment