Cole LOVES brownies. They are his absolute favorite - and, I search everywhere for a great box mix. But, no more! I found an online recipe for a homemade base mix, changed it up a bit & now have (what I think is) the best brownie mix! And, the nice part - the base mix makes a lot & can be stored for several pans of brownies!!
Base Mix (makes 18 cups mix or (4) 9x13 pans of brownies)
8 c. Sugar
4 c. Flour
2.5 c. Baking Cocoa
4 tsp. baking powder
4 tsp. salt
2 c. shortening
- in a large bowl, combine sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder & salt. Cut in teh shortening until the mixture resembles course crumbles.
- store in airtight container, in a cool place (I like fridge or freezer) for up to 6 months.
Cole's Favorite Chocolate-Chocolate Brownies!
4 c. brownie mix
2 tsp. vanilla
2 c. chocolate chips
- in a mixing bowl, combine the brownie mix, eggs & vanilla; mix well. (note: this is a very thick, sticky mix! not like the box mix)
- fold in chocolate chips
- spread into a GREASED (I use crisco) pan - 13x9 - and spread as even as you can. (again: this is THICK & does not pour like a box mix)
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes. (mine was about 48 minutes, but, another oven was closer to 40). Insert toothpick to check doneness.
- Cool 10-15 minutes on rack - then cut & remove from pan.
These are soooo good!