Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Home/School Connection: Fall Board

Since Cole started Preschool 3 years ago, I have felt like it was very important for us to actively work at home on the same skills he's working on at school.

We fondly call our home school work "Mommy School", which has come to bring on a groan from my son when he hears it! (He's not crazy about sick days, snow days & school breaks because he has extra "Mommy School" on those days). One of the ways I try to make it exciting for him, is to utilize as much opportunity as I can to bring color, design & fun into our work at home. When we lost our school/office combo room when Jacob arrived, we had to find creative ways to work all those fun extras into our home.

One of my favorites is our bulletin board. He loves it when he comes home from school & a new theme is on the board :) We had to downsize our board just a bit when we lost our school room, but, I did find a great place to incorporate this board into the kitchen.

Here's a shot of our Oct/Nov board.


We are in a big push for early reading right now. Sight Words & Letter sounds all around us. (You can also see my previous post on "Slap a Sight Word" here) These leaves are laminated & I write the weekly words in dry erase marker to prevent having to redo them each week. Gotta save a girl some time anywhere you can!


Here's our "Question of the Day". I use this to encourage creative thinking, and, early writing skills.


And of course we have a monthly calendar that we work with daily.


In upcoming posts I will be showing you other ways our home doubles as a classroom for the boys. I would love to hear how you incorporate these fun ideas into your home & classroom as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment