Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The lesson in the Fruit Roll-Up

Last night I was cleaning out Cole's lunch box & found a fruit roll-up. {the memories of my own obsessive love of these tiny treats all came rushing back! I'm fairly sure as a child I was addicted to these! ha!} Because I hadn't packed a fruit roll up in his lunch, I knew he had gotten it from someone else. I asked him & he said "Yep, my buddy Jake, he gives me one everyday!". Well, being a Mom, the first thing I say is "Oh, Cole - let Jake have his lunch, you don't need to take it, you have plenty in your lunch". He told me "I know, but he likes bringing something for me". In that moment I remember thinking "wow, he already understands that Jake gets joy in giving to him. That's kinda cool."

Later that night I decided to text Jake's Mom to let her know about the fruit roll-up (I was assuming that she didn't know), so she could assure Jake he didn't need to give away his lunch, he could eat & enjoy his treat himself :) When I told her, she responded that yes, she does know, they pack 2 everyday purposely so Jake can share with Cole. Well...of course my response was that they did not need to do that! But she shared with me that Jake enjoyed this, he wanted to give to Cole, and, they were happy to support it. Ah...the simplest of lessons. As Dave Ramsey says "Don't tell them to give more, Teach them how to give".

Yes, it was just a fruit roll-up, but for a 6 year old - that's a pretty big deal. Those sweet sugary treats are pretty irresistible - and, he's choosing to share, everyday, with his buddy. I'm reminded of Jesus's words "He who is generous will be blessed, for he gives some of his food to the poor" Proverbs 22:9 (now, obviously I don't consider us poor - but the meaning is the same :)

At the age of 6, this little boy truly understands "It is more blessed to give than to receive" Acts 20:35. Now is that to say he will always want to share & give away his things? Of course not, but knowing he has great parents who are supporting him giving, will assure him a much better chance at beating the "all about me" culture we live in.

Another cool thing...today Cole asked if he could take an extra pack of cookies to share with Jake :) Hopefully the teachers & lunchroom staff will have mercy on these precious boys breaking the rules.

And now, I am craving fruit roll-ups....

No comments:

Post a Comment