Monday, October 18, 2010

Homemade Bread

One of the things I have always wanted to do was learn to make a good, quality homemade bread. One that will stand up for Sandwich bread the same as slicing & eating with a meal.

About 2 years ago, my Father-in-Law really got into baking as a part of retirement, and, he discovered an amazing recipe for homemade bread. I finally took the plunge about a month ago & had him teach me how to make it. I was so shocked when he told me I actually had to made sure the water/milk reached 110 degrees on a thermometer (that I honestly didn't even own at that point) - I mean, really, did it matter? (Well, YES, BTW - It DOES matter!)

I have made 2 official loaves by myself, and, still haven't perfected it to his loaves, but, boy they are good. My hang up at this point seems to be sealing the edges after the 2nd rise, I don't seem to be getting them perfect and you can see the rolled "layers" in my bread when it finishes baking. I will keep practicing!

Jason is thoroughly enjoying homemade bread for both his lunch & our meals. It's amazing how much better homemade bread tastes toasted for breakfast too!

I love living the domestic life :)

No comments:

Post a Comment